Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Life and My Light

Alma 26:35-6; 3 Nephi 17:15-20

The records were passed down generation to generation until about 385 A.D. when they were given to Mormon, a young righteous Nephite who the people chose to guide their armies in many battles. As most of the Nephites were turning away from God and “ripening in iniquity” they began to lose their battles against the Lamanites and, as God had warned them from the beginning, they were entirely swept off the land (see Ether 2:9; Moroni 9:20-24; Mormon 6). Before he died in the last great battle, the prophet Mormon gathered the many plates together and chose from them the most sacred and prophetic writings as he was inspired by the Holy Ghost. He handed down this abridged record to his son, Moroni, who, as the sole survivor of the Nephites, finished the abridging and added a few words as directed by the Spirit. He buried the record in the ground around 421 A.D. to eventually be unearthed and translated by a prophet in our day.

My last two favorites on “Enjoying Life” come from earlier in The Book of Mormon, the first from the visit of the Lord Jesus Christ to these people soon after His resurrection. After descending from heaven, healing their sick, and expounding His gospel to the people, Jesus knelt with them and prayed unto the Father in their behalf. They bore record of the “great and marvelous things” he spoke and explained that “no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father” (3 Nephi 17:15-20). We also can have joy in the great and marvelous things that Jesus Christ has done for us. It is because of His sacrifice and love for us that we have access to pray to the Father as He did. Our souls may also be filled with joy as we contemplate our potential to return to our Father someday.
About 80 years before Christ’s birth, a Nephite named Ammon was reflecting on the blessings from proclaiming the message of Jesus Christ among the Lamanite people. He explained to his brethren that they had great reason to rejoice and then he got “carried away” in his joy “even unto boasting in my God” (Alma 26:35). After expounding God’s power and wisdom and mercy, Ammon said:
“Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, bless is the name of God, who has been mindful of this people.” (verse 36)

I finish this theme with my own rejoicing. I rejoice in the love of our Father in Heaven to watch over me and to His send His Son, Jesus Christ, to give my life hope and meaning. I rejoice in His gospel and I thank Him for my happiness, for this also is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation!

No comments: